Friday 1 February 2008

getting old(er).

the snow turned to snain, the snain turned to rain... the snow melted into slush, the slush melted into puddles of water.
december faded into january, january is fading (or has faded) into february... such is life.

i dreamt about a primary school classmate last night... it was really weird that i did, because i haven't seen or talked or heard from or heard of him in a long, long while. and that's kinda sad cos i think he was my first real boy friend. somehow in the whole "guys are icky" phase, something must have clicked between us and we developed a cool friendship. we could talk about deep stuff (or at least what was deep to our 11/12-year-old selves), joke about random things, laugh at and with each other, share and seek advice, keep secrets... and yet, probably what i find most amazing (though i'm not sure i should) about our friendship is that it never developed into anything more, neither on my side nor his. i was his girl friend and he was my boy friend. that's it.

i've known him ( i refuse to say "i knew him") for a really long time... and i've watched him grow. from hating any form of physical activity to playing basketball and getting into pretty good shape, from saying girls were a waste of time and money to having a girlfriend, from being the "math genius" when we were seven to "not caring about school" in high school to studying actuarial science in australia... pretty amazing.

i'm gonna track him down. and when i do, somehow i know that we'll be able to chat and catch up as if we'd just met up a few days before, like we always do. or always have.

speaking of watching people grow up, here's a shoutout to my dahling melmel who has just turned 20! =D since you've complained about me always dragging you down memory lane by your hair (har har.) on your birthday, i won't embarrass you by talking about any of the many incidents i hold so dear on my blog, kay? hope you had a great birthday, babe... wish i was there.

happy birthday to tata too (my now 84-year-old grandfather. who doesn't read my blog, btw.)! it was strangely comforting to call my grandmother's handphone and have him pick up, not be able to hear me, pass the phone to my grandmother, and then identify myself to her, have her pass the phone back to him, manage to get my birthday wishes across, and have the phone passed back to her because he couldn't hear me because they were at the market because they were out of fish and vegetables (she told me so.). =P

such is life indeed.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You made his day! Somehow, thoughtfulness is always appreciated.

melissa chen said...

You made my day too! Yesh, I must admit..without you calling me "Mak Nenek" on my birthday, it just wouldn't feel right. So thank you, for calling..me on my phone, and maybe a little thank you for the "Mak Nenek". Lol. Holy crap, I seriously can't believe I'm 20. Crazy, I tell ya!

AmbivalentMonk said...

I found my Kindergarten friend on Facebook...that was pretty cool.
If anything, they are great ways of seeing how you've grown and changed.

And with hope, you have changed and grown together with that person, instead of apart.

ho_ said...

My friends are all lost from before first grade. I don't remember any of them, I can't remember any of their faces. It just seemed my life back in Hong Kong was completely different. Another life.

Good luck trackin him down. I'm sure somewhere along the line he's doing the same.

Bryan said...

My last blog post is hidden. Password is 'friends' .

Nothing too private, which is why I'm leaving the PW on your comments. If someone wants to work that hard to read my post, they should go for it.