Thursday 10 September 2009

o my prophetic soul!

i heard "when two become one" by the spice girls on the radio today, and was singing along to it with whatever lyrics i remembered from when i was 11 or 12... and when it got to this part

"get a little bit wiser baby,
put it on, put it on."

joe went "OH MY GOD THEY'RE SINGING ABOUT A CONDOM!"

i wonder how many other sexual connotations i've been singing along to unknowingly.

"he took me by the wrist and held me hard;
then goes he to the length of all his arm;
and, with his other hand thus o'er his brow,
he falls to such perusal of my face
as he would draw it. long stay'd he so;
at last, a little shaking of mine arm
and thrice his head thus waving up and down,
he raised a sigh so piteous and profound
as it did seem to shatter all his bulk
and end his being: that done, he lets me go:
and, with his head over his shoulder turn'd,
he seem'd to find his way without his eyes;
for out o' doors he went without their helps,
and, to the last, bended their light on me."

- ophelia, act ii, scene i, hamlet.

No comments: