Monday 19 November 2007

psych(o)ed me.

i just conducted my first ever experiment on a kid! muahahaha.
i messed up a little here and there, but i think it went pretty well overall... i'm learning. the kid warmed up pretty quick and wasn't traumatized or anything. hehe.
basically the experiments are to find out if the kid has what's called theory of mind, which in layman terms is whether or not the kid understands that other people may have desires and beliefs that may differ from their own, and that these desires and beliefs may or may not affect behavior.
so we just play games with the kids and tell them stories and then ask them questions... good stuff.
getting involved in this is great for me cause i'm pretty interested in doing research as part of my future career, so hands-on experience is valuable.

i was talking to the grad student whose research study this is, and i realized that i've actually done quite a lot in the two months i've been here - i've gotten a major-related job, gotten an internship that actually gives me a chance to run experimental sessions, which is rare, and completed two 400-level psych courses. i think i've started out pretty well. =)

now i just have to keep the momentum going.
and study quantum mechanics for tomorrow. (boooo...)

4 comments:

Bryan said...

Haha! Good luck with quantum mechanics!

Shwe Ying The Great said...

quantum mechanics suck big time! Did that during my foundation year. Hated it. Thank goodness I'm done with chemistry!

AmbivalentMonk said...

They let you around kids? Jesus christ. What is this world coming to?

:-P

Actually, that experimental sounds really, really cool. Cognitive development...I wish I had 10 years so I could study three other majors!

delle. said...

bryan: i'm glad it's over! i think it went better than expected. but i'll know for sure when i get my results...

yingky: i still have another term to go! yikes.

sean: i know what you mean! i wish i had all the time in the world to study everything i was interested in...