Wednesday 20 August 2008

balik kampung.

i am home. =)

it feels as if i'd never left. when i touched down in klia, it felt as if i had just come back from a short holiday... and suddenly eugene, palo alto, and the u of o seemed so far away. like a very realistic dream. the weather hasn't gotten to me like i thought it would, i've just clicked right back with everyone i've met, and i haven't had any trouble at all falling asleep in my bed. that could be the jetlag though.

i went for mass on friday (the day i landed), and it was so weird to suddenly know so many people in one place and to know that so many people knew me! it made me feel very vulnerable, actually, because i'd gotten used to my relative anonymity in the states and i felt as if everyone was watching me lol. it was also probably because an aunty i met said "life has been good horh... it shows!" when she saw me. ah well.

i've met up with both sides of my extended family, as well as given the gang mini heart attacks. i've been to the market and watched wall.e (which i thought was so cute!). i've had a haircut, a facial, and spent a day at the spa with anthea. i've bumped into a few of my old teachers. i've woken up to the sound of pouring rain. i've been for mamak, and had chee cheong fun, roti pisang, nasi kandar, neslo ais, milo ais, barli ais, teh ais, tausa pau, putu bambu, peanut pancake, kue neng gou, zhang, popiah, durian, ramly burger (mel: ha? haa. haaa... lol), bak kut teh, gandum and capati. i haven't even been to a hawker center yet! oh but i've also been for an evening run around the neighborhood and i went round twice! before i left one round was about my max, so that was pretty cool. =)

i've been having a great time, but of course it hasn't been all rainbows and butterflies. there have been romantic notions that haven't been met, and there have been low points that hurt although i thought i'd prepared myself for the possibility of them happening. there are sensitivities i haven't missed. but hey, they're all part of package.

the highlight of my trip so far is definitely when i surprised ying, val, ping and mel. their reactions were priceless, and i was very touched. =)

it's good to be back.

5 comments:

val said...

*still recovering from mini heart attack*

Bryan said...

When school started my first year, I couldn't remember what home was like. And my first time back at home, it was like you said... a realistic dream that had never happened. But somewhere in between, Eugene and KFalls switched places as home and away-from-home, despite changing apartments every year.

Anyway, I think that the more times you go back home, the more your two lives will become one.

My 2 cents..

Shwe Ying said...

Dust in eyes! Dusty malaysian air.

May said...

sob, my reaction wasn't good enough eh. sob. lol

delle. said...

val: hee hee. lucky your heart was still young enough to take it! not anymore... =P

bryan: my non-friend! yeah, i think it'll be interesting to see how my concept of "home" changes... when i was at bing, a kid asked me where i lived and within half a second four different places flashed through my brain. oh, and your 2 cents is worth 7 sen here! =D

ying: yes la yes la... i'm glad i made the dust fly then. =P

may: no, your reaction was good too! the others' just involved... dust. and screaming lol. i love you too!