Tuesday 14 August 2007

why la why.

this morning i checked my wallet and found 50 ringgit missing. i've got a feeling it was taken at work yesterday.

50 ringgit is a lot or not much depending on who you are, but what irks me most is the principle behind it. the people here are people i've talked to - we're not all chummy but still, it's a slap in the face to think that whoever took my money was having a friendly conversation with me a few minutes before. one minute they're laughing with me and the next they're opening my bag, my wallet, my billfold and putting my money into their pocket. that's both an invasion of my privacy and a violation of my rights.

in a way it's better to have it taken by a stranger whom i don't know and will never see again. then my blame wouldn't have a face pinned to it. this way i have to face the people i suspect, and i'll never know for sure who took it. it's hard to treat everyone the same as before, and it's not fair for me to treat the innocent any differently.

it wasn't even my money. my mum gave me the money to buy something for her. two days' work doesn't give me 50 bucks. but whatever.

it's ironic to think that i didn't lose a single rupee in kolkata the three weeks i was there. i spend 5 days here and lose 50 ringgit.

i guess they needed it more than i did. they'd better. either way i'd rather my money have been taken in kolkata.

No comments: