Wednesday 9 January 2008

first step.

the part that is hardest for me, and the part i dislike the most about going to the rec center is actually getting My Big Bum (yes, it's a proper noun now) off my chair, out of my dorm room, down the stairs and out the door.

mainly because i dread the rain and wind and cold that i'd have to face the whole two or three blocks up the road. (which suddenly feels like a whole lot more!)

also because i think about how i might try to do something, like run on the treadmill for a certain length of time at a certain speed, and not be able to do it.

and i come up with all sorts of excuses that make it even harder for me to get My Big Bum off my chair, out of my dorm room, down the stairs and out the door. like i won't have time to wash and dry my hair, i should be doing my homework, i just had lunch/dinner so i'll feel sick if i exercise, i already went yesterday...

once i get there though, it's a whole different story. i tell myself i might as well make the most of it, since i'm already there. maybe if i do enough exercise today i won't have to do it again tomorrow. you can do it, a bit more, one last push... well done.

that wasn't so bad. in fact, it was pretty darn good.

now all i have to do is to figure out how to remind My Big Bum of this feeling every time My Big Bum is too lazy to get off my chair and out of my (relatively) warm room.

and when i think about it, this self-psyching-out doesn't only apply to My Big Bum and the rec center.

3 comments:

Bryan said...

I think your big bum is bigger in delle's world than it is in reality :). And if you can come up with 1000 excuses to not go to the rec, I can give you another 1000 and we can write a book on why we shouldn't go to the rec, sell it at the UO bookstore, make a killing, then never have another reason to work out ever again!

Don't let your classes kill you this term :)

melissa chen said...

I um, err, like your 'big bum' >.< Or I like your bum big? Or both?

delle. said...

bryan: haha maybe it is, but then what it is in delle's world kinda matters more to delle than what it is in reality, unfortunately. =P i'm sure i could come up with 2000 reasons all on my own!
i'll do the killing this term... hope you stay on top of work+classes+isa too.
i want my soap!

melmel: but but.. unfortunately i can't confine the size increments to my bum only. =(